After avoiding the collapse of the global financial and economic system, governments around the world are now focused on building a foundation for future growth. In addition to safeguarding the economic recovery, the world is facing a number of transformative challenges, such as an increasing scarcity of natural resources, significant demographic shifts, and the environmental and social implications of climate change.
In dealing with these challenges, governments have taken an increasingly strong interest in entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurs are recognized as important drivers of economic and social progress, and rapidly growing entrepreneurial enterprises are viewed as important sources of innovation, employment and productivity growth. Some of the most influential enterprises of our time began relatively recently as small entrepreneurial ventures.
Many governments are therefore trying to actively promote entrepreneurship through various forms of support. The World Economic Forum has been actively engaging early-stage and later-stage high-growth companies for many years through its Technology Pioneers programme and its community of Global Growth Companies.
Global Entrepreneurship and the Successful Growth Strategies of Early-Stage Companies
This report answers a series of questions:
- What are the top growth accelerators and dark moments/challenges faced by entrepreneurs?
- What strategies have executives used to overcome these challenges and turn their ideas into successful business?
- What are the key factors that position early-stage companies for long-term sustainable growth?
This report has multiple uses:
- Government policy-makers can deepen their understanding of this pivotal sector of the economy
- Entrepreneurs can better understand the rich set of alternative paths they face and their varying opportunities and risks
- Financial and other partners of early-stage ventures can gain insight on how they can promote the growth of companies with which they are partnering
- Educators and students can use the strategy frameworks to better assimilate the seemingly large diversity of new ventures.
The purpose of this report is to provide further insight into how to successfully foster entrepreneurship with the ultimate goal of improving economic growth, prosperity and quality of life.