36 Innovative Companies Recognized as World Economic Forum Technology Pioneers
Lucy Jay-Kennedy, Senior Media Manager, Media, Tel.: +1 917 209 94 83; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 36 companies celebrated for pioneering technologies, which hold promise of transforming business and society
- Technology Pioneers are selected annually by a high-level selection committee.
- Since 2000, more than 550 companies have been selected as Technology Pioneers
- Read their profiles and download the report at http://www.weforum.org/techpioneers
New York, USA, 27 August 2013 – The World Economic Forum announced today its latest selection of Technology Pioneers, consisting of 36 of the world’s most innovative technology start-ups. These companies are being recognized for their potential to transform the future of business and society. Their achievements will be honoured at the Forum’s Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2013 in Dalian, People’s Republic of China, from 11 to 13 September.
Some of this year’s Technology Pioneers are being acknowledged for their efforts to cure genetic diseases, provide affordable drinking water and enable access to higher education, as well as to create innovative approaches to distributing natural light in buildings and offering wireless charging for electronic devices.
Technology Pioneers are a part of the World Economic Forum’s community of pioneers, disruptors and innovators. These New Champions help other Forum members to better understand the future context of how business and society is being transformed.
The Technology Pioneers for 2014 are (in alphabetical order): Adtelligence, Advantix Systems, Agios Pharmaceuticals, Airbnb, Alphabet Energy, AppNexus, BIND Therapeutics, bluebird bio, Bug Agentes Biologicos, Codecademy, Coursera, Cyberdyne, Data4, Dnevnik.ru, D-Rev: Design Revolution , EcoNation, Foundation Medicine, GitHub, Jana, Kaggle, Kebony, Koemei, Lenddo, LiveU, Natera, Nest Labs, Oasys Water, OMC Power, Rethink Robotics, Second Sight Medical Products, Selecta Biosciences, SunPartner, SynTouch, TruTag Technologies, Viki and Witricity Corporation.
“The impact of technology continues to increase in all aspects of society,” said David Aikman, Managing Director, Head of New Champions at the World Economic Forum. “The diversity of the innovative thinking and possible solutions they offer are why leaders from all sectors of society are interested in interacting with the Technology Pioneers.”
Previous Technology Pioneers include Google (2001), Mozilla Corporation (2007), Wikimedia (2008), Twitter (2010), Dropbox (2012), SoundCloud (2013), Kickstarter (2012), Qifang (2009), MC10 (2013), TaKaDu (2011), NetQin (2011), BloomEnergy (2010), Recyclebank (2009), 23&Me (2008), MBA polymers (2007) and Monitise (2006)
Each year the World Economic Forum chooses a select number of Technology Pioneers from hundreds of applicants. Candidate companies are nominated by Members, constituents and collaborators of the World Economic Forum, and by the public. A selection committee, comprised of top technology and innovation experts, academics and venture capitalists, reviews all applications before making its recommendation to the World Economic Forum.
The Technology Pioneers 2014 will be awarded for their achievements in a ceremony on 12 September at the Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2013. The Meeting is the foremost global business gathering in Asia, which brings together leaders from top-ranked multinationals and chief executive officers of dynamic and fast-growing companies.
More information about the World Economic Forum’s Technology Pioneers programme can be found at http://www.weforum.org/techpioneers.
Notes to Editors
- Follow the Technology Pioneers on Twitter at http://twitter.com/techpioneers
- Read the Technology Pioneer blog at http://www.forumblog.org
- View the best photographs from the Forum on Flickr at http://flickr.com/worldeconomicforum
- Become a fan of the Forum on Facebook at http://wef.ch/facebook
- Follow the Forum on Twitter at http://wef.ch/twitter and http://wef.ch/livetweet (hashtag #WEF)
- Follow the Forum on Google+ at http://wef.ch/gplus
- Follow the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting of the New Champions at http://wef.ch/amnc13
- Upcoming Forum events at http://www.weforum.org/events
- Press Releases at http://www.weforum.org/pressreleases