Dubai to Host First Global Meeting of Regional Organizations
Oliver Cann, Associate Director, Communications Tel.: +41 (0)22 869 1406; e-mail: Oliver.Cann@weforum.org
- The World Economic Forum and the Government of the United Arab Emirates will host the inaugural Meeting of Leaders of Regional Organizations
- The meeting will take place in Dubai from 12 to 13 November 2012 in conjunction with the Summit on the Global Agenda 2012
- For more information about the meeting: http://www.weforum.org/events/summit-global-agenda-2012
Geneva, Switzerland, 11 October 2012 – On 12-13 November 2012, the Government of the United Arab Emirates together with the World Economic Forum will host the inaugural Meeting of Leaders of Regional Organizations. The meeting will take place in Dubai in conjunction with the Summit on the Global Agenda 2012, which will take place on 12-14 November.
Regional organizations are emerging as key vehicles to address major gaps in international cooperation. Today, over 50 major regional organizations worldwide address key challenges including trade and finance, climate change, trans-border security and economic development. They therefore represent an important platform for discussion for both regional and global agendas.
“The global economy is facing deep systemic and structural changes, fuelled by fiscal imbalances, widening income gaps, geopolitical risks and growing resource constraints. This has a direct impact on developments in different regions and only underscores the significance and mandates of the world’s regional organizations. We are therefore delighted to work with the Government of the United Arab Emirates represented by H.H. Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister of Foreign Affairs in bringing together leaders of key regional organizations for their first global meeting,” said Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum.
The objectives of the meeting are:
- To provide a platform for leaders of regional organizations to meet as a global community, share best practices and discuss common challenges and risks
- To enable leaders of regional organizations to access over 1,000 experts from the Forum’s Network of Global Agenda Councils
- To establish an on-going dialogue among leaders of regional organizations to catalyse international cooperation in the global public interest
The Summit on the Global Agenda will bring together over 1,000 Council Members from 88 distinct Global Agenda Councils. With each Council comprised of experts from academia, business and civil society, the Summit’s unique format of in-Council and cross-Council collaboration will generate thought leadership on the world’s most pressing challenges and opportunities.
This year, the Summit will focus on new strategies for sustainable growth through improvements in inclusiveness, innovation and governance in a networked, hyperconnected age. Outcomes of the Summit will be integrated into the programme of the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2013 in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland, for further discussion and action.
Notes to Editors
To participate in the Summit, please register at http://www.weforummedia.org
Follow this year’s Summit online at http://www.weforum.org/events/summit-global-agenda-2012
View the best pictures from the Summit on Flickr at http://wef.ch/pix
Watch live webcasts of the sessions on Livestream at http://wef.ch/live
Watch the sessions on YouTube at http://wef.ch/youtube
Become a fan of the Forum on Facebook at http://wef.ch/facebook
Follow the Forum on Twitter at http://wef.ch/twitter and http://wef.ch/livetweet
Read the Forum Blog at http://wef.ch/blog
Read Forum reports on Scribd at http://wef.ch/scribd
Follow the meeting on the iPhone at http://wef.ch/app
Subscribe to Forum News Releases at http://wef.ch/news