First World Economic Forum on India Meeting Kicks Off in Gurgaon
Desirée Mohindra, Associate Director, Media: Tel.: +41 (0)79 4295249, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meeting will convene in Gurgaon 6 to 8 November, under the theme, From Deliberation to Transformation
- Over 600 participants from over 40 countries expected to attend
- Read more about the meeting http://www.weforum.org/india
Gurgaon, India, 1 November 2012 – The first ever World Economic Forum on India is to be held in Gurgaon from 6 to 8 November 2012. Under the theme, "From Deliberation to Transformation", the meeting will bring together more than 600 participants from over 40 countries.
The meeting aims to create dialogue that leads to action in three core areas that are crucial for India to restore growth. These are: how to redress the risks India faces; how to best recognize and develop its human capital; and how to fulfil India’s future promise.
“Increasing unpredictability and complexity in global markets as well as India signal the urgency for moving from deliberation to dialogue and decision-making. The Forum’s unique approach of convening stakeholders from across all sections of society will allow us to put forward new models that will address the most critical economic and social challenges” said Sushant Palakurthi Rao, Senior Director and Head of Asia, World Economic Forum”
“The country’s future prosperity depends on its ability to capitalize on its strengths by creating an ecosystem that rewards both business and society. The State of Haryana is at the forefront of this transformation process and we look forward to playing an active role in the meeting as it seeks to set an agenda for sustainable, inclusive growth across the country and region,” said Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Chief Minister of Haryana, India.
The key public figures that have confirmed for the meeting are:
Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission; David Appia, Ambassador of France for International Investment; Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Invest in France Agency; Gordon Brown, UN Special Envoy for Global Education; Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (2007-2010), The Office of Gordon and Sarah Brown; Ajay Chhibber, UN Assistant Secretary-General, UNDP Assistant Administrator and Director, Asia and the Pacific, New York; Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of the National Capital Territory of Delhi, Government of the National Capital Territory of Delhi; Ed Fast, Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada; Bal Gosal, Minister of State for Sport of Canada; Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Chief Minister of Haryana, Government of Haryana, India; Imran Khan, Chairman, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf; Fawzia Koofi, Deputy Speaker of the Lower House, Wolesi Jirga; Arun Maira, Member, Planning Commission; Arthur G. Mutambara, Deputy Prime Minister, Office of the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe; Rajat M. Nag, Managing Director-General, Asian Development Bank; Farzana Raja, Federal Minister, Parliament of Pakistan; Christian Sautter, Deputy Mayor of Paris, Economic Development and International Attractiveness, Paris City Hall; Jyotiraditya M. Scindia, Minister of State for Power, Ministry of Power of India, Anand Sharma, Minister of Commerce and Industry and Textiles, Ministry of Commerce and Industry of India; Jagdish Shivappa Shettar, Chief Minister of Karnataka, Government of Karnataka; Ali Osman Sindi, Minister of Planning, Kurdistan Regional Government; N. K. Singh, Member of Parliament, Parliament of India; Sunil Dattatraya Tatkare, Minister of Water Resources of Maharashtra, India; Krishna Tirath, Minister of State, Ministry of Women and Child Development and Tim Uppal, Minister of State for Democratic Reform of Canada.
The co-chairs of the meeting are: Paul Bulcke, Chief Executive Officer, Nestlé; Aliko Dangote, President and Chief Executive Officer, Dangote Group; Kris Gopalakrishnan, Executive Co-Chairman, Chairman of the Executive Council, Infosys; Siddhartha Lal, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Eicher Motors; Chhavi Rajawat, Sarpanch of Soda Village, Council of Soda; and Jasmine Whitbread, Chief Executive Officer, Save the Children International.
Notes to Editors
- Follow the World Economic Forum on India at http://wef.ch/india12
- View photos from the meeting at http://wef.ch/india12pix
- Watch live webcasts of sessions at http://wef.ch/live and on demand at wef.ch/india12video
- See participants’ commentary and analysis from our Social Media Corner at wef.ch/india12youtube
- Follow the Forum on Twitter at http://wef.ch/twitter and http://wef.ch/livetweet (hashtag #WEF)
- Follow tweets from participants using our twitter list at http://twitter.com/wef/wefindia
- Submit your comments and questions using the hashtag #WEFASK, on Facebook wef.ch/askonfacebook
- Read the summaries of sessions at wef.ch/india12sessions
- Read the Forum:Blog at http://wef.ch/blog
- Become a fan of the Forum on Facebook at http://wef.ch/facebook
- Follow the Forum on Google+ at http://wef.ch/gplus
- Follow the meeting on iPhone at http://wef.ch/iPhone