The World Economic Forum
is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation. The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
- was established in 1971 as a not-for-profit foundation and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland. It is independent, impartial and not tied to any special interests, working in close cooperation with all major international organisations.
- engages political, business, academic and other leaders of society in collaborative efforts to improve the state of the world. Together with other stakeholders, it works to define challenges, solutions and actions, always in the spirit of global citizenship.
- serves and builds sustained communities through an integrated concept of high-level meetings, research networks, task forces and digital collaboration.
- delivers unique value to its Partners, Members and constituents through:
- The Centre for the Global Agenda addressing key challenges on the global agenda through a number of Global Challenge Initiatives
- The Centre for Regional Strategies which shapes regional and national strategies in the global context
- The Centre for Global Industries, a trusted partner for shaping industry transformation
- its Annual and Regional Meetings
- its future-oriented communities of New Champions, its expert networks of Global Agenda Councils, its TopLink knowledge and interaction, and Transformation Maps, its proprietary interactive contextual intelligence tool
- strives in all its efforts to demonstrate entrepreneurship in the global public interest while upholding the highest standards of governance.
|Professor Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman|
From our Founder
"We live in a fast-moving, highly interconnected world, and our existing systems, structures and formal institutions no longer suffice. Pressing global problems can arise quickly and without warning. At the same time, new and unprecedented opportunities for global growth and positive change are emerging and must be harnessed for the future of humanity.
Barriers between political, economic and social issues have dissolved. The new reality of our networked society is that global, regional and industry developments are completely intertwined. Technological revolutions are changing the context for decision-making and disrupting our conventional decision-making processes.
Today, to address these issues, the world needs a level of global cooperation that is increasingly difficult to attain, precisely due to the growing complexities and interdependencies in the world.
The Forum’s experience since its foundation in 1971 shows there are few issues that cannot be adequately progressed by convening the most relevant actors from all sectors – business, government and civil society – in a high-level, informal environment of trust. Among international institutions, the Forum is an impartial platform for transforming dialogue into insights, insights into agendas, and agendas into action. This provides the practical basis for our mission: to improve the state of the world by serving as a trusted partner of all the stakeholders of global society as they embark upon transformation processes in response to the profound economic, social and political changes sweeping our world."