Future of Work

A quarter of South Africans are unemployed – but this social entrepreneur has a plan

Students use computers to study at Elswood Secondary School in Cape Town November 7, 2013.

South Africa has one of the highest unemployment rates in the world Image: REUTERS/Mike Hutchings

Samuel Brown
Community Specialist, Social Entrepreneurs and YGL - Europe and Eurasia, World Economic Forum
Our Impact
What's the World Economic Forum doing to accelerate action on Future of Work?
The Big Picture
Explore and monitor how Future of Work is affecting economies, industries and global issues
A hand holding a looking glass by a lake
Crowdsource Innovation
Get involved with our crowdsourced digital platform to deliver impact at scale
Stay up to date:

Future of Work

Luvuyo Rani is the co-founder and managing director of Silulo Technologies and is a 2016 Schwab Foundation Social Entrepreneur of the year. Silulo operates IT training centres in townships and rural areas of South Africa, providing job opportunities for unemployed youth. It has successfully partnered with corporations such Microsoft and Vodacom to refer job seekers.

How are you working to tackle the unemployment problem in South Africa, which has one of the highest unemployment rates in the world?

We have built a network of one-stop shops based in the townships, in the rural areas where services like ours are non-existent. Our students follow a six month course in relevant IT skills, and they will then find employment or start their own business to bring those lessons back to their townships. Approximately 70% of the customer base is young people and the other 30% is the elderly, many of whom have never been exposed to technology – our oldest student was 78!

Image: BusinessTech

What is the scale of the unemployment problem? Is it as bad as reported?

If you look at the township of Khayelitsha, which is the second biggest township in South Africa with a population of 1.5 million, it has an unemployment rate of 50%. Of these, 50% are young people. The gap in IT skills has never been systematically tackled. We currently work in two of the nine provinces in South Africa, but the scale of the problem is vast, and IT skills are needed in every township, in every area.

How are you working to scale your model?

We want to be in every province in South Africa by 2025. Our success going forward is going to be based on partnerships – with both the government and the private sector. We'll also develop our offerings in other services, such as training in e-commerce and coding.

A key issue for the World Economic Forum this year is the Fourth Industrial Revolution. In terms of your business and your sector, what do you see as the biggest opportunities that this technological revolution poses?

We are integrating tablets into learning, as they are the future of the workplace. When students go into the world of work, more and more things will be done using tablets or smartphones, so if our students can learn to send a quote or a tender using a tablet, this is extremely valuable.

What kind of advice would you have for young people who are inspired by your work and want to act?

It’s very important to love what you do. Creating social impact is hard work – it’s not easy and calls for a strong character and passion. It’s important to focus on one thing and build it step by step, as that’s how you learn. Sometimes it can be frustrating – for example, the issue of funding – but if you’re pushing and your heart is in the right place and you are clear about where you want to go, things have a way of working out.

Have you read?

Don't miss any update on this topic

Create a free account and access your personalized content collection with our latest publications and analyses.

Sign up for free

License and Republishing

World Economic Forum articles may be republished in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Public License, and in accordance with our Terms of Use.

The views expressed in this article are those of the author alone and not the World Economic Forum.

Related topics:
Future of WorkFourth Industrial Revolution
World Economic Forum logo
Global Agenda

The Agenda Weekly

A weekly update of the most important issues driving the global agenda

Subscribe today

You can unsubscribe at any time using the link in our emails. For more details, review our privacy policy.

From 'Quit-Tok' to proximity bias, here are 11 buzzwords from the world of hybrid work

Kate Whiting

April 17, 2024


About Us



Partners & Members

  • Join Us

Language Editions

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service

© 2024 World Economic Forum