Georg Schmitt, Head of Corporate Affairs, World Economic Forum; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Troels Oerting will assume leadership of the Global Centre for Cybersecurity as of 2 April 2018
· Previously, Oerting held senior positions at Europol, Danish Intelligence and in the private sector
· The Global Centre for Cybersecurity is dedicated to fighting cybercrime and organized digital crime
· For more information visit www.weforum.org
Geneva, Switzerland, 26 March 2018 – The World Economic Forum announced today that Troels Oerting will be assuming the role of Head of the Global Centre for Cybersecurity as of 2 April 2018.
Troels Oerting is joining the Forum from Barclays where he was Group Chief Security Officer and Group Chief Information Security Officer. Before that, he was at Europol where he held several roles including Head of Europol’s Counter Terrorist and Financial Intelligence Centre and notably, Head of the European Cybercrime Centre. He began his career in law enforcement and held multiple senior roles within the Danish National Police including Director, Serious Organized Crime Agency and Director of Operations, Danish Security Intelligence Service.
“The Global Centre for Cybersecurity is the first global platform to tackle today’s cyber-risks across industries, sectors and in close collaboration with the public sector. I’m glad that we have found a proven leader in the field who is keen and capable to help us address this dark side of the Fourth Industrial Revolution,” said Klaus Schwab, Founder and Executive Chairman of the World Economic Forum.
His wealth of experience will be invaluable for the development of the Global Centre of Cybersecurity and achieving its goal of securing a safer cyberspace.
As cyber-attacks could cripple economies, nation states and society without collaboration and robust defences, urgent action needed to create safe operating environment for new technologies like artificial intelligence, robotics, drones, self-driving cars and the internet of things. The Forum’s Global Centre for Cybersecurity offers first platform for governments, companies and international organizations to diminish the impact of malicious activities on web.
The centre will focus on the following aims:
· Consolidating existing cybersecurity initiatives of the World Economic Forum
· Establishing an independent library of cyber best practices
· Helping partners to enhance knowledge on cybersecurity
· Working towards an appropriate and agile regulatory framework on cybersecurity
· Serving as a laboratory and early-warning think tank for future cybersecurity scenarios
Read the Forum Agenda at http://wef.ch/agenda
Become a fan of the Forum on Facebook at http://wef.ch/facebook
Watch Forum videos at http://wef.ch/video
Follow the Forum on Twitter via @wef and @davos
Follow the Forum on Instagram at http://wef.ch/instagram
Follow the Forum on LinkedIn at http://wef.ch/linkedin
Learn about the Forum’s impact on http://wef.ch/impact
Subscribe to Forum news releases at http://wef.ch/news
All opinions expressed are those of the author. The World Economic Forum Blog is an independent and neutral platform dedicated to generating debate around the key topics that shape global, regional and industry agendas.