When moving abroad, especially when you have a family, there is a lot to consider when it comes to quality of life.
In a new survey by InterNations, the world’s largest network for people who live and work abroad, the company asked 14,300 expats, representing 174 nationalities and living in 191 countries or territories, to rate 43 different aspects of life abroad on a scale of 1-7.
Healthcare, safety, and the cost of living are crucially important, but so too is the quality of education available to expat families looking to give their children the best start in life.
Education in the countries listed below can come at a price, but the quality of education in these nations are considered the best in the world.
13. Czech Republic — Education is highly affordable with close to three-quarters (74%) of expat parents "overall agreeing that education is easy to afford in the Czech Republic compared to the global average of 45%."
12. Austria — "The quality of education is also rated favorably by 85% of expat parents, which is 21 percentage points more than across the globe," InterNations says.
11. India — Education in India is of a high standard, but it comes at a price for expats. "48% of expat parents think education in India is pricey," the survey says.
10. Australia — "Education is deemed easy to afford by 64% of expats, compared to 45% globally. The quality of education is also appreciated by an impressive 84% of respondents."
9. Netherlands — While the low-lying European nation is only ranked as the 24th best country overall in InterNations' survey, it is well ahead when it comes to education, just cracking the top 10.
8. Taiwan — Taiwan ranked as the best country for expats overall, and part of that was down to the quality of education. However, "for both childcare and education, only 3% of expat parents completely agree that these are easy to afford," InterNations says.
7. Belgium — "This year, a third of expat parents consider the quality of education in Belgium very good. Last year, just about one-sixth (17%) said the same."
6. Israel — 84% of expat parents living in Israel consider the educational standards to be favourable, according to the InterNations survey.
5. Hong Kong — Hong Kong is in "the bottom three for both availability of education and its costs," InterNations says, but the quality is top notch.
4. South Korea — Education quality in South Korea appears to have increased this year, and "47% of expat parents in South Korea rate the quality of education as excellent this year compared to just 22% last year.
3. Switzerland — "The quality of education is among the best in the world," according to parents surveyed by InterNations.
2. Singapore — Expats in Singapore are not particularly happy with the cost of education in the city-state, but "53% of expat parents also rate the quality of education as excellent."
1. Finland — The top country for expat education, "an impressive 70% say the quality of education there is excellent compared to the global average of just 21%," InterNations says.