• New Zealanders have been praised for their work to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
  • The country has reported a total of 20 deaths, with no new reported cases for the first time since March 16.
  • It comes less than a week after the country ended strict lockdown measures, which were in place for more than a month.
  • But social distancing measures remain in place, with many still working and studying at home.

On May 4th, New Zealand recorded no new cases of the coronavirus for the first time since March 16 and less than a week after the Pacific nation ended a strict lockdown that appears to have contained the outbreak.

Director General of Health Ashley Bloomfield told a news conference the result was cause for celebration, noting the death toll remained at 20 with no additional virus-related fatalities.

“It is symbolic of the effort everyone has put in,” Bloomfield told reporters.

“This is the first day that we had no new cases and we want to keep it that way.”

New Zealand ended a strict lockdown on April 28th, which shut offices, schools, malls, restaurants, playgrounds and all other public areas for over a month.

However, several social restrictions remain in place with millions of New Zealanders still working and studying from home, although some economic activity was allowed to resume.

Bloomfield cautioned that people must continue social distancing measures to ensure COVID-19 does not return.

“Clearly these are encouraging figures today, but it is just one moment in time,” Bloomfield said.

Coronavirus Covid-19 virus infection China Hubei Wuhan contagion spread economics dow jones S&P 500 stock market crash 1929 depression great recession
New Zealand ended a strict lockdown on April 28th.
Image: New Zealand Ministry of Health

“The real test is later this week when we factor in the incubation period for the virus and the time it takes for people to display symptoms which is generally five to six days after exposure.”

The total number of confirmed cases in the country is 1,137, he said.

Foreign Minister Winston Peters on Monday backed calls for a so called trans-Tasman bubble that would allow movement of people between New Zealand and Australia, saying such an arrangement could work “seriously well”.

Australia has so far escaped the high numbers of casualties seen in other countries, with about 6,800 infections and 95 deaths.

The country had 26 new cases of the coronavirus on Monday, including a seven-year-old boy, across three states in the biggest daily jump in two weeks.

A New Zealand rugby team was given the green light to fly to Australia and start training for a tournament while undergoing 14 days of quarantine.

“Officials in both countries are considering all aspects of the trans-Tasman concept, and planning how this could happen more broadly,” Peters said.