How can the aerospace industry continue to push the boundaries of aircraft regulations, space technology and job skills in this age of digital transformation?
This community is a high-level group of peers dedicated to ensuring the long-term sustainability of their industry and society.
The Aerospace Governors define the industry agenda. The group, comprising chief executives and chairs from partner organizations, closely align the agenda with related System Initiatives.
The Governors identified four priority challenges for 2018: aircraft certification, drone regulation, space sustainability, and workforce transformation. The Forum is addressing these challenges through a number of projects and activities:
1. Reimagining aircraft certification
- The future of short-haul aviation and urban aerial mobility is moving toward electric and autonomous, with new forms of aircraft that are often hybrid plane and multi-copter. Progress is, however, being stifled by aircraft certification processes that can take nearly a decade to complete, cost tens of millions of dollars, and are ill-equipped to evaluate new types of aircraft and control systems. This workstream, which is in the scoping phase, will accelerate innovation in aircraft certification while maintaining standards of safety and public trust. Activities include: Bringing together public and private-sector stakeholders for workshops to develop new approaches to certification
- Working with civil aviation authorities to pilot new approaches to certification
2. Regulation of drones and unmanned traffic management
- The Drones and Tomorrow’s Airspace project forms part of the System Initiative on Shaping the Future of Mobility. It aims to develop regulatory frameworks and management practices that empower society to make better use of airspace. It also seeks to enable safe, clean and inclusive use of drones for delivery, mobility and aerial data capture. It will achieve this by Defining a future for civil drones that maximizes the benefits to society and mitigates risk
- Determining the regulatory environment needed to achieve this future
- Identifying the air traffic management and other infrastructure required for scaling drone innovation
- Creating a network of pilot projects to demonstrate best practices
3. Space sustainability
The Global Future Council on Space Technologies is a multi-stakeholder group of experts working to address sustainability in space, support the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and act as a think tank for the aerospace sector. The council is currently focusing on designing a space sustainability rating – a voluntary mechanism that increases transparency and promotes sustainable behaviour from organizations working in space.
4. Workforce transformation
- The Employment and Skills for the Future of Production project form part of the System Initiative on Shaping the Future of Production. It will facilitate private-public cooperation to accelerate the timely transition, up- and re-skilling of the production workforce globally. Activities include: Understanding the nature of future jobs and tasks across the different production value chain segments and the implications for the existing and future jobs landscapes and production-related capabilities
- Encouraging constituents to collaborate in multistakeholder partnerships on targeted local or regional re-skilling initiatives for key segments of the production value chain, using new technologies, and sharing lessons learned and best practices
- Identifying the main drivers and new approaches to successfully incubate and scale skilling and re-skilling initiatives for the production workforce
The Preparing for the Future of Work project forms part of the System Initiative on Shaping the Future of Education, Gender and Work. It aims to help leaders manage the impact of technological disruptions on work and employment. During the next two years, the project will develop scenarios, re-skilling maps and change management toolkits for policy-makers and business leaders. These tools will help shape a more positive outlook on the transformations underway and support responsible and responsive action by government and business.