The Future of Sustainable and Impact Investing
ESG Ecosystem Map
As the world faces increasing social, economic and environmental challenges, there is an urgent need to connect and mobilize family business leaders in their capacity as a driving force and major contributor to the global economy.
Family businesses are not only the backbone of most economies, but also manage to maintain resilience and market position without sacrificing their initial values or core customers and by developing close connections with the communities in which it operates, providing lessons to be learned for the broader business community.
Who we are
The World Economic Forum Family Business Community exists to connect the most prominent family business leaders worldwide and to promote shared understanding of the global issues affecting family businesses.
It offers members a trusted space for dialogue and cooperation, helping them to understand the emerging trends and disruption from an owner’s perspective, to promote inclusive and sustainable growth in response to regional and global concerns and to prepare the next generation to lead in a constantly evolving context.
The Family Business Community also involves a group of dynamic next-generation game-changers, who are committed to leading innovative activities that add value to their family businesses and to society.
What we are working on
Through an evolving portfolio of global and regional activities, including a comprehensive agenda for the next generation, research-driven projects and thematic multistakeholder meetings, the Family Business Community tackles challenges linked to:
- Agility: How must family businesses prepare for success during times of disruption?
- Responsibility: How can family businesses scale their impact on global and regional issues?
- Family: How to rethink the entire family ecosystem that supports the company?
A network is about taking; a community is about trust and the willingness to give. The Family Business Community is not about consuming knowledge but being part of a significant community of innovative, purpose-driven family business leaders and their next generation, who are committed to sustaining their business over generations, and to driving change using their business and family platforms.
Free of any commercial solicitation or hidden agenda, our meetings are held under the Chatham House Rule, away from any media presence, allowing members to reflect on timely issues in a safe environment and to develop true relationships of trust.
– The Roadmap for Responsible Ownership Project: This multi-year project aims to increase family business owners’ understanding of global challenges and explores the untapped potential of family businesses to contribute positively to economic, environmental and social development.
– The Next Generation Programme: Next Generation Meetings and participation in relevant Forum activities help talented young community members learn how to lead in a fast-changing world, contribute to global conversations and build an unparalleled network of peers, leaders and influencers.
– Reports and insights on family business issues: These research-driven initiatives are implemented by the community together with high-level practitioners. They lead to publications on best practices, insights and recommendations covering governance, responsible ownership, trust in family businesses, family offices and impact investing.
For more information, contact Andrienne d’Arenberg, Head of Family Business Community, at FamilyBusinessCommunity@weforum.org.
ESG Ecosystem Map
The rapidly changing nature of today’s economy – characterized by a new wave of disruptive growth – offers opportunities but requires strong, inclusive leadership to ensure that all of so...
Small enterprises that see past short-term growth and adopt a sustainable approach have valuable lessons to offer the corporate world.
Whether they are mom-and-pop stores or conglomerates, family businesses touch upon all aspects of life in nearly every country around the world. What role can they play?